I’m Su Tanveer and I am a second-year Sociology student. I am a School Representative, Student Ambassador and a member of the Equality and Diversity committee. I am a proud feminist from a working-class background. If elected, I will be fiercely committed to working towards a university that is accessible, accountable, connected and just. I have the relevant and broad range of experience that makes me well-equipped to be your Equality and Liberation officer next year!
I WILL LISTEN TO YOU
- Host a monthly Coffee (or hot chocolate) and Cake Break and hear your concerns
- Launch UoL’s Own Voices Spotlight project, where minority students will be able to send in their creative works - art, writing, poetry, - for exhibition. One student will also be given an Artist Spotlight - an opportunity to promote their work across the university campus. This will be a great opportunity for students from liberation backgrounds to build a community based on creativity.
I WILL BE YOUR VOICE
- BAME awarding gap: promoting and widening awareness across University as a whole. At the University of Leeds, statistics show that BAME students are 12.7% less likely to be awarded 1sts and 2:1’s than white students and for Black students this is at 25.9%.
- Campaign for mental health services to be more inclusive with more representative counsellors. They need to be culturally competent for students from all backgrounds to feel understood.
- I will host more online conferences and events for students from a liberation background. Currently as a School Representative I petitioned for a BAME Alumni conference for my faculty; to promote diversity and representation for students who have felt invisible and unrepresented.
- Report concerns and discriminations
I WILL HOLD THE UNIVERSITY ACCOUNTABLE
- Continue anti-racism campaign that the previous officers had started. “LUU Draws the Line on Hate Crime and Harassment”
- At the University of Leeds extensive research is being conducted on the awarding gap, I will make sure that research is more cohesive between researchers. With students kept more aware on this issue.
- I will keep stakeholders accountable for your needs:
- Racial Justice Network