JODY WONG for Union Affairs and Communications Officer
I’m here to MAKE UNI WORTH THE MONEY! If you’re looking for someone to drive a hard bargain and give you the BEST UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE…you’re in the right place!
I’m a final year Human Geography with Transport Studies student. Last year I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia (had the best time!) but this year I’m back living in the student stomping ground, Hyde Park. Having experienced two different universities and spoken to countless students, I have taken the best of both and this has enabled me to come up with my policies.
- Simplify student access to lecturers
- Move the Open Door Office Hours online.
- Create a booking system for students to instantly book 1-to-1 help sessions with lecturers.
- The move to online teaching as a result of the pandemic has impacted the quality of our education as we cannot take advantage of in person office hours. This new system will avoid delays in back and forth email correspondence when arranging help and increase efficiency for any future online learning.
- Sell YOUR food/art/music in the union
- Source food from local student businesses ensuring our money is invested back into the student community.
- Create a student art and music gallery in the union where people can sell their work.
- Promote culture and encourage interaction by supporting diverse and international students.
- The pandemic has seen students take on new hobbies and demonstrate much economic resilience through the rise of start-ups. LUU should celebrate this self-development.
- Bringing the union to YOU
- Regular collection of feedback from students to encourage a sense of ownership to LUU by creating a platform where YOUR voice is heard.
- Work to improve digital communication to keep you connected.
- Deliver high quality digital services from the Union so that distance-learning students still feel a valued member of LUU.
- Increase transparency on spending & sustainability
- Lobby the University to be more honest.
- Continue the fight for a fair grading system/rent relief and continue to join other universities in the campaign for fee compensation.
- Redesign the social media content to make it easier to understand so students can hold LUU and the university accountable.
Throughout my time at university, I have been involved in a number of societies; sport socials have been particularly fun, and the university ski trip was unreal. I want YOU to experience this and MORE. I also secured a finance internship through the university careers centre and so I recognise the importance of the ‘work hard and play hard’ balance. I’ll also ensure university budgets are spent in the right places and in the areas that students want and need. This year I have been a Geography mentor to freshers and so I understand how you feel disappointed by your university experience. Doing my final year in lockdown means I’ve had a lot of time to plan how I can make next year better.
I am ready to fight the student corner and give YOU the Leeds experience YOU DESERVE!
FB: Jody Wong